Changing the course of history, or at least a marriage

Driving Sue Banducci to divorce.

I started driving for Veterans Cab just after I moved to San Francisco in 1975, or it might have been 76. I soon discovered some regular rides were very lucrative, but you had to beat out the older drivers who would sit at an intersection at a specific time for one of the really good tippers. I was at Broadway and Columbus about 12:15 one night when the dispatcher called out “Broadway and Kearny.” I shouted “Bingo.” Tommy said “Pick up Enrico at Banducci’s.” 


He rolled into the cab, very jovial. He said “oh, you’ve never driven me before, Swing out through the tunnel and cut over to Lake on Anza.” I drove him out to 14th Avenue. It was a fun trip, lots of fun banter, and he did tip something like 25 bucks.  


Well, I said, let's try Broadway and Columbus tomorrow at 12:15, I get how this works.


12:20 Tommy said over the radio, "Broadway and Kearny." I yelled “Bingo.” 25 bucks in those days was real money. Tommy said, “Take Sue home. Be careful," or he might have even said, ”Mind your P’s and Q’s.” Apparently she had a reputation.


I pulled up and Sue got in the car. Not a word, I said to myself well this is different. I followed the same route to 14th and Lake, Not one word. I pulled up to the house, and Sue exploded, "So this is where she fucking lives!:If you worked for me I’d fire you in a second." I tried to say something and she cut me off. She yelled, “Drive me home, Sacramento and Pierce." I did. She paid the exact fare. No tip.


I did not return to Kearney and Columbus at 12:15 ever again.


10 days later Herb Caen announced that the famous couple were separating. I was certainly not surprised. Did I change the course of their marriage? I’m sure that they’d been having troubles, as they say, for a while. I’m not going to be their parish priest either, but I did see her true colors. 


Enrico Banducci stands in front of a prop stage in theThe San Francisco Performing Arts Library, which will feature a show about his life and club.The San Francisco Performing Arts Library is opening an exhibition the legendary SF nightclub the hungry i, founded by Enrico Banducci. We're interviewing enrico, who's 85, about himself and the club where woody allen, streisand and others got started. (Christina Koci Hernandez/The Chronicle) CHRONICLE Photos by Christina Koci Hernandez


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lord Krishna comes to tea

You have a gay uncle. I had one too.